Community Systems Strengthening (CSS): Nurse
Fixed term contract (1 year)
WHO IS HIVSA?
HIVSA is a not-for-profit company established in 2002 and is a strategic partner of the Gauteng Provincial Departments of Health and Social Development. We innovatively transform and empower individuals, community workers and organisations by developing their capacities to effectively respond to the socio-economic and health challenges that burden communities.
THE PHVP PROGRAMME
The CSS programme implements the Preventing HIV/AIDS in Vulnerable Populations (PHVP). The goal of the PHVP programme in Gauteng, is to contribute towards HIV epidemic control by enhancing the quality, comprehensiveness and sustainability of care and support services to improve resilience, health and wellbeing of Orphans and Vulnerable Children, Adolescents and Youth (OVCA&Y) and Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW), in line with the South African Government (SAG)’s strategic goals for health and social development. HIVSA’s implementation model is embedded in capacitating and strengthening Department of Social Development (DSD) funded Community Based Organisations (CBOs) to utilise a robust case management system and structured evidence-based interventions to provide holistic services to communities, OVCA&Y and AGYW. HIVSA implements the PHVP programme in the Johannesburg, Tshwane, and Sedibeng.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
With oversight and direction from the Program Advisor, the Nurse will be responsible for case finding, recruitment and enrolment of expected C/ALHIV quotas for the programme. The nurse will ensure that at least 90% of C/ALHIV in high volume clinics within HIVSA’s catchment area is enrolled into the OVC Comprehensive programme; ensuring capacity building of sub-partners aligned to SIMS for smooth integration of community and clinical service delivery with a focus on improving results towards “95-95-95” inclusive of HIV/AIDS, TB and COVID-19. S/he will strengthen implementation of comprehensive, HIV-inclusive case management with a focus on improving paediatric and adolescent HIV and TB case identification, disclosure, and viral load reporting and suppression; strengthening HIV prevention, linkage to HIV testing services (HTS), care, and treatment; retention among both C/ALHIV and their caregivers. She/he will also ensure successful linkage and retention to Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for AGYW participating in the OVC DREAMS Family Strengthening Program. The Nurse is responsible to actively monitor, track, verify and validate all C/ALHIV and PrEP beneficiaries before reporting it into formal platforms such as CBIMS.
Key Performance Areas:
- Effective and efficient use of HIVSAs resources through sub-partner compliance management i.e., monitoring sub-partners targets vs expenditure and ensuring sub-partners has sufficient resources timeously to implement the programme.
- Actively participate and represent HIVSA in networking and collaboration opportunities with DSPs and Health Facilities, to ensure smooth running of linkages for HTS, PrEP, SRHS and VMMC clinical services and make necessary recommendations. Including actively participating in relevant meetings/forums by timeously preparing meeting documents and presentations.
- Timely and accurate programme implementation by providing training, capacity building and coordinating implementation strategies for the OVC Comprehensive Programme to ensure that sub-partners comply with enrolling and servicing at least 90% of C/ALHIV in clinics in our coverage area (determine current coverage).
- Provide sub-partners with standardized in-service training and supportive supervision to ensure the provision of high-quality case management that improves holistic patient management and ensures equitable access to health and social services.
- Spearhead the engagements of clinicians treating children and primary caregivers through case conferencing to identify and address any treatment challenges or barriers, for those cases that are at high risk for defaulting on treatment.
- Ensure quality service delivery by conducting PrEP demand creation, PrEP linkages to other IPs and ensuring successful PrEP initiations for AGYW participating in the OVC DREAMS Family Strengthening Modality
- Validating and verification of C/ALHIV and PrEP beneficiaries – as a requirement at reporting intervals at all stages of the programme. Including weekly file reviews and home visiting verifications, using the standardised guiding documents.
- Implementation of electronic case management processes and ensuring the use of virtual/digital platforms by sub-partners in programme delivery. This includes beneficiary casework, supervision, case meetings/conferencing.
- Related to the above, compliance with HIVSA policies, procedures, and SOPS with special mention of remote working and COVID-19 processes and systems designed to respond to challenges and threats posed by COVID-19 – this includes sticking to SOPs to the letter, monitoring, supervising, and supporting sub-partners, and mainstreaming COVID-19 messaging and practices in programme activities.
- Actively driving manual fleet vehicles by driving self to sites, and on occasion others as required by the role of this position.
- Degree in Nursing or equivalent qualification (covering Maternal Health, Child, and Community Health)
- Registration with Nursing council of South Africa
- Post qualification experience in a primary health care or a community setting.
- Sound knowledge of HIV and Antiretroviral education
- Sound knowledge of PrEP activities.
- Good report writing skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure
- Sound decision making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team setting
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and excellent patterns of communication
- Strong supervision and mentorship skills
- Sound understanding and support of Monitoring and Evaluation requirements and reporting
- Must have a valid driver’s licence (of more than 3 years) and be familiar with driving manual vehicles, as they would be driving themselves and their team on a daily basis.
- Must be partially or fully vaccinated (Covid-19)
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates that meet the requirements and are interested in the position should send motivation letter and CV with three contactable referees to: The HR Manager, HIVSA, P O Box 3869, Southgate, 2082, e-mail: email@example.com or fax: 086 244 5444. Closing date for applications: 20 September 2022 (Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted).